From our Dominican collections, a chalice veil with metal thread and silk embroidery. Initialled’ B.K.’ (Bridget Kirwan) and dated 1683 in Roman numerals. This piece was most likely completed in Spain and brought back to Ireland by Sr. Julian Nolan and Sr. Mary Lynch in 1686. A note was discovered inside the veil when repairs were being made by a sacristan c. 1922.
The Dominican Sisters established a community in Galway in 1644, residing originally at New Tower Street, now St. Augustine Street. After fleeing Galway during the Cromwellian occupation of 1651/2, Sisters Mary Lynch and Julian Nolan returned from exile in Spain in 1686 and re-established a convent at the Slate Nunnery, Kirwan’s Lane, where Busker Browne’s is now. In 1845 the Sisters moved to the Convent at Taylors Hill.