From our Dominican collection, an embroidered altar frontal for a side altar. With the initials ‘EB’, it was probably made by Elizabeth Browne in 1730. Elizabeth was professed in 1719 and died in 1772.
The Dominican Sisters established a community in Galway in 1644, residing originally at New Tower Street, now St. Augustine Street. After fleeing Galway during the Cromwellian occupation of 1651/2, Sisters Mary Lynch and Julian Nolan returned from exile in Spain in 1686 and re-established a convent at the Slate Nunnery, Kirwan’s Lane, where Busker Browne’s is now. In 1845 the Sisters moved to the Convent at Taylors Hill, Galway.